About LUS Fiber : Timeline
A brief timeline exhibiting the key points in the history of the LUS Fiber initiative:
• Partnered with Lafayette Regional Airport to provide free high-speed Gigabit WiFi.
• Standard & Poor's upgrades LUS Fiber's bond rating to "A+" with a stable outlook.
• Celebrated the 10 year anniversary of Lafayette's public vote to approve bond funding of the LUS Fiber system.
• Offered 2 Gbps (gigabits per second) residential Internet service.
• Offered affordable residential Internet Gigabit service.
• Named as having the fastest home Internet in the world, according to Open Technology Institute's report, "2014 Speed Leaders for Home Broadband."
Attained cash positive status.
Phased build-out completed, months ahead of schedule, bringing 100% fiber optic access to all of Lafayette.
First customers receive services in early February.
Phased build-out construction starts in February.
• Louisiana Supreme Court rules in favor of LUS.
• $110.4 million in bonds issued in July for LUS Fiber project.
Two anonymous citizens file suit.
Citizens vote 62% - 38% to approve bond funding of system.
• City proposes its 4th utility: Fiber-To-The-Home-and-Business Network.
• Local Government Fair Competition Act passed at urging of incumbent telecommunications and cable TV providers.
• Incumbent providers file lawsuit.
Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce and LEDA work with LUS to establish wholesale and governmental retail network.
LUS builds fiber ring for better communication within municipal utility system.