Help + Support : Quick FAQ
1. What is Fiber-To-The-Home technology?
Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) technology is the delivery of information through pulses of light over a fiber optic network directly to the end-user. No other technology can match the extreme amount of information delivered by a 100% fiber optic system. LUS Fiber is the first community-owned 100% fiber optic network in Louisiana, and the only 100% fiber optic network in Lafayette.
2. How is Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) technology different than what I have now?
It’s all in the infrastructure. LUS Fiber offers a 100% fiber optic connection to every home and business in the city, while companies using partial fiber systems still rely on copper wire to deliver signals over extended distances, leading to poor signal quality. Only a FTTH network can carry high bandwidth signals over long distances using light, which has no interference issues and will deliver superior products.
3. Why do I need fiber optic technology when the signals travel over my existing wiring once the information reaches my house?
Copper cabling is an efficient means of delivering information over very short distances. However, networks that rely on partial fiber-to-copper infrastructure are subjected to extreme bottlenecking of information due to a limited amount of available bandwidth. They are susceptible to interference of radio frequencies (RF) and must continuously “refresh” or strengthen the signal to deliver it to the consumer’s home. FTTH networks have virtually limitless bandwidth, which allows free flowing of information at the speed of light. Signals over fiber can travel greater distances without having to be refreshed and are not subject to RF interference.
4. What services can I receive with LUS Fiber?
LUS Fiber offers video, Internet and phone services over Lafayette's only 100% fiber optic network. For a complete list of our product and pricing offerings, select the link for the individual products you’re interested in or go to the Fiber Store.
5. How much do LUS Fiber services cost?
We offer competitive products and simple, straightforward pricing for all customers. No hidden costs, no short-term promotional rates. While we must recover our costs to deliver services, we are not profit-driven. Visit our product areas to learn more about specific rates for services.
6. Do I have to sign a contract?
No, residential customers are not required to sign a contract, but are required to sign a standard terms of service agreement. Some residential customers may wish to take advantage of a special promotional offer in which a limited term agreement is required. Customers interested in taking advantage of a special promotional offer should refer to the offer details for that particular promotion.
7. How do I know if LUS Fiber is available in my neighborhood?
To find out if LUS Fiber services are available to your, click on the "Service Finder" link to the right.
8. When will LUS Fiber services be available to all residents?
LUS Fiber services will be available to residents and businesses throughout the city of Lafayette by July 2010.
9. Is my fiber service going to be overhead or underground?
In most cases, if power lines to your home are overhead, the fiber optic cable to your home may be overhead. If the power line to your home is underground, your fiber optic cable may be underground. In all cases, the fiber optic glass strands will connect directly to an unit attached to your home that contains the connections to accommodate your home's existing wiring. This true, direct connection of fiber optics to your home makes our network 100% fiber, with no other cabling types in between.
10. Will you be digging in my yard?
LUS Fiber will avoid disturbing yards as much as possible. In areas where fiber optic lines must be placed underground, LUS Fiber will be digging in your yard.
11. What equipment will be installed at my home? Will I have to rewire my house? What will that cost?
The fiber optic lines will connect to an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) attached to your home that contains the connections to utilize your home's existing telephone and TV wiring. A standard service installation will be included with the purchase of services.
12. What type of Internet services are offered by LUS Fiber?
LUS Fiber offers the only symmetrical Internet service in Lafayette, meaning equal upload and download speeds. Options include up to 10 Mbps, 30 Mbps and 50 Mbps. Speeds increase up to 100 Mbps between LUS Fiber customers, regardless of the individual package you buy.
13. Does LUS Fiber Internet service include Internet security?
Yes, LUS Fiber Internet services includes the award-winning ZoneAlarm security suite, at no additional charge.
14. What type of TV/video programming does LUS Fiber offer?
The LUS Fiber TV/Video programming lineup includes 300+ digital channels including local, digital, premium, HD and Video On Demand programming.
15. Does LUS Fiber offer Video On Demand and DVR service?
Yes, LUS Fiber offers a variety of programming options, including Video On Demand, Pay-Per-View, Digital Video Recording (DVR) and digital music services.
16. Will my phone service still work if the power goes off?
During an electric power failure, the phone service delivered over the LUS Fiber system will rely on an LUS-installed battery adjacent to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) attached to your home. Your phone service will be available for limited emergency use from this battery.
17. Will my current phone still work on the LUS Fiber system?
Yes, your existing phone will work on the LUS Fiber system and you can keep your same phone number. The LUS Fiber system is also working to provide you with the flexibility to use advanced phone products, such as an IP (Internet Protocol) phone.
18. What phone feature options are available?
LUS Fiber offers the same wide range of phone feature options you’re accustomed to, such as caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, 3-way calling, plus many more.
19. Will I be able to call 911 on the LUS Fiber phone service?
Yes, you will be able to call 911 on the LUS Fiber system.
20. Will my LUS Fiber service charges be on the same bill as my current LUS utility bill?
No. Your LUS Fiber services (video, Internet and phone) will be billed separately from your existing electric, water and wastewater bill.
21. How can I let you know that I’m interested in receiving LUS Fiber services?
Call us at 99-FIBER (993-4237) or sign up for updates on this website.